Kids and Teen Blog
February 22, 2012
March 2nd, 2012
Publicity Intern for Raincoast Books
Raincoast Books is looking for an unpaid publicity intern to start immediately. We require a candidate who can devote a minimum of sixteen hours a week for a three month period. Our intern must be self-motivated, well organized and can work on many projects simultaneously.
The ideal candidate will have:
- excellent written and verbal skills
- some facility with design programs
- an interest in adult fiction and young adult titles
- experience with blogging and social media
Raincoast Books is a national full-service sales and marketing book distributor for over 20 client publishers from across Canada and around the world. Raincoast has offices in Vancouver and Toronto and the successful candidate will work out of our Vancouver head office.
Candidates should send CV and cover letter by March 16th to:
danielle at raincoast.com
There are oh so many reasons that I love my job. Please. Who wouldn't love being surrounded by fun kids books all day? Here are my top 5 reasons I love my job:
1. The people I work with. They really are super fab! These are just a few of them.
2. The insanely talented editors that I get to work with and the fun mail that they send me. For example check out the summer issue of The Magazine below, visit them online and pick up an issue on newstands now. Their are reviews of Cinderella Ninja Warrior, I'm Not Her, The Big Book of Spy Stuff, The Worst-Case Scenario Ultimate Adventure Everest and Real Mermaids Don't Wear Toe Rings.
4. The authors, publishers and incredible publicity departments at those publishers. What other girl get's to say that she works with Chronicle, Gibbs Smith, Lonely Planet, Moleskine, New Harbinger, Silver Dolphin, Simply Read and Sourcebooks every day?
5. The books. Because really, at the end of the day, that is why I do what I do. Because of the mountains of beautiful, moving, funny, clever, magical books that transport me and anyone else who is a kid at heart to other worlds.
And that is why I do what I do!
This Children's Book Publicist is busy, busy, busy getting ready for a trip to Toronto next week to meet with editors. It is always so fun to catch up with all of the editors and bloggers who I now consider friends and to finally put faces to the people that I have been emailing with.
Yesterday Danielle and I sent out catalogues to everyone that we have appointments booked with. Here is a set of catalogues going to the lovely Melissa Carter who I met when she was an editor at Canadian Family Magazine and who is now an editor writing about Baby, Parenting and Food at iVillage.ca.
It's hard to believe that as publicist we are already working on books for Fall 2011. It feels more like fall here in Vancouver. Here is the view from the window at my desk today. Pretty gloomy and drizzly out there.
It's very interesting working 4 or more months ahead in time. The last of our Spring 2011 books are currently arriving in the warehouse and it is time to switch our focus and start looking forward. Right now I am printing out manuscripts from some of our Fall Canadian Authors to send to the Quill and Quire.
This afternoon I am using our new e-catalogue system and making themed book lists for presenting to editors next week. I will make Board Book, Picture Book, Teen Book, Parenting, Cooking, Health and Travel lists to present to the appropriate editors and bloggers. Danielle and I are really excited to be presenting the catalogue using iPads for the first time. Our e-catalogue system is great because it has internal images from the books. Being able to show editors pages from different titles on the screen of the iPad is a very effective pitching tool.
I'll report back in two weeks with how the trip went. Perhaps I'll even blog from the road next week. Now to pick out what to read on the plane! So many wonderful books to chose from. Anyone read anything really terrific lately?